Smashwords is the platform we recommend that you use to self-publish your eBook. Via Afrika has used Smashwords to publish several of their renowned African literature titles. You can check them out here.
Smashwords makes it really easy for you to publish and distribute your book and they also have a great support team with loads of free information to help you to self-publish your eBook.
Why Via Afrika uses Smashwords.
- It’s free! Smashwords doesn’t charge for their eBook publishing, conversion and distribution services. Smashwords earns a commission only if they sell your book and they pay some of the industry’s highest royalty rates.
- You need to upload your eBook to only one place (Smashwords).
- Smashwords sells your eBook on their own platform at a set commission fee that is deducted from your royalties. It also has a wide distribution network to major online booksellers (e-retailers). Once you upload your Ebook, Smashwords automatically distributes it to multiple e-retailers such as Apple, Barnes & Noble, Scribd, Oyster and Kobo as well as libraries such as Overdrive.
- You can set your own price. For every book you sell you will get royalties (85% of net receipts; we explain this in detail in the handbook) paid into a PayPal account (we will show you how to get one).
- You own your copyright. When you publish with Smashwords, you grant Smashwords a non-exclusive right to publish, promote and distribute your book, as well as samples of your book.
- You maintain all rights to your work and have the freedom to publish anywhere else because the agreement is non-exclusive.
- Smashwords has lots of free, informative videos and guides on self-publishing and marketing to support you.
How to sign up for a free Smashwords account
Why not sign up now for a Smashwords account and see for yourself all that they do? Remember, this handbook will guide you through each step.
To register for a free account go to the Smashwords home page: https://www.smashwords.com/
Watch a short clip below that shows you how to do this.
More about Smashwords
Once you have signed up you will have full access to Smashwords and you will also have access to their very informative Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page as well as some great (and free!) eBook resources, such as The Smashwords Guides which include the following: